When you come in for your first appointment, you can expect excellent care from our clinicians and hygienists. Drs. Brisman and Loshak care deeply about all their patients, and want to make sure they know your dental and overall health–inside and out. Your first appointment will take a little longer, because our dentists will take the time to discuss your medical history, your dental concerns, and any lifestyle changes that can affect your dental health.
Studies show that your dental health can directly affect your overall health. Gum disease, for instance, can lead to serious conditions like heart disease and even some cancers. And, depending on your medical history or allergies, you may need a different type of treatment or anesthetic during your procedures. But, you can be assured that we will take that all into account when we plan your treatment.
Whether you are getting teeth whitening, dental implants, or are here for a consultation, you can expect some of the best care around!
What can I expect?
When you come in for your first appointment, you will have a discussion about your medical history and dental concerns. On top of that, we will also perform a short exam to identify any other dental problems. Here are some of the exams you may see:
- A head an neck exam of the musculoskeletal system. This is to make sure that your bite and jaw are properly aligned–problems like Bruxism or TMJ can affect your jaw and neck.
- A visual examination of your teeth, gums, and mouth. Your Westchester dentist will perform a quick exam of your teeth, to make sure there aren’t any other dental concerns they haven’t addressed.
- A complete set of digital x-rays. The digital x-rays are an important part of your first visit. With these, we can see deep inside your teeth and jaw, and can spot problems like decay, misplaced teeth, and impacted wisdom teeth. And if you’re concerned about the radiation, no need to worry–these advanced x-rays operate at a much lower radiation level, so it is harmless in small bursts like a yearly x-ray.
- Digital photographs. The photographs of your head and jaw are a great way to see the progress of your dental treatment.
- Diagnostic study casts (models). If you are getting bridges, dental implants, or veneers in Westchester, our on-site tech lab will need casts of your teeth and jaw, to make sure that the prosthetics will blend seamlessly with your natural teeth.
- Diagnostic records (bite registration, etc.). Depending on your procedure, your bite and jaw structure may change over time. Having the records of where you started can help your dentist measure your progress, and adjust your treatment as necessary.
What Happens Next?
After your initial exam, you’ll have another consultation with us, to discuss the clinical findings and your treatment options. Many of our patients can start treatment on the same day as their consultation. But, a more complex medical history or treatment plan will need another follow-up appointment. Regardless of your treatment needs, our dentists will be with you every step of the way!
Do I Need to Bring Anything?
To help your consultation and examination go more smoothly, we would appreciate if you brought the following information to your first appointment:
- Your referral slip and any current x-rays if applicable. You can request these from your referring physician and dentist and bring them with you. If you don’t have any, that’s okay! We can take additional x-rays at our office, too.
- A list of medications you are currently taking. Some medications may affect how our treatments and anesthetics work, so if you are taking any kind of antibiotics, blood pressure medicine, or anticoagulants, please let us know.
- A record of any current or ongoing medical condition. We care about our patients’ health, so please let us know if you have certain chronic or ongoing medical conditions. They may affect the length and type of your treatment. So, if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, artificial joints or heart valves, please let us know.
Our team has many years of experience treating patients from all walks of life. You can be sure that you are getting premiere care, and we hope you will love the results! Haven’t scheduled your appointment yet? Contact us today!
PLEASE NOTE: All patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.